Has the EU abandoned social regulation?
Published by EurActiv, 22 February: video interview with Pierre Baussand, Director of Social Platform
The Lisbon Treaty states that the EU aims to promote social progress and improve the living and working conditions of the peoples of Europe. In his “Agenda for Jobs, Growth, Fairness and Democratic Change” President Juncker declared himself to be a “strong believer in the social market economy”. Yet unemployment is high and political discussions focus on economic governance.
EurActiv organised a stakeholder workshop with the support of the European Trade Union Confederation to discuss:
- Will social investment be at the core of the ‘Juncker’ investment plan?
- How will the digital transformation of industry impact social policies, in particular employment and economic growth?
- What is the future direction the EU should take in terms of social rights and social legislation?
- What does triple A social Europe mean, and what does President Juncker intend to do about it?
- How are the ‘Uber-like’ business models changing employment?
Watch the video here.