2 June: NGO Networking Meeting ahead of the EU Presidency in Luxembourg
In July 2015 Luxembourg will take over the Presidency of the EU. Social Platform is organising a civil society conference to discuss the social dimension of the Luxembourgish EU Presidency priorities. Ahead of the conference we will meet with NGOs, members of Social Platform members to discuss our key messages to the Minister of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy
Date: 2 June 13.30-17.30 Venue: Neimënster – Centre Culturel de Rencontre Abbaye de Neumünster (Room A11) – 28, rue Münster – Luxembourg-Grund
Wifi will be available at the conference venue. Our twitter account is @social_platform and the hash tag for the meeting is #socialeu2015lu
13.00-13.30 Arrival and Registration
1. Opening remarks and presentation of Social Platform by Pierre Baussand, Director of Social Platform
2. Parallel workshops – first round
During the workshops Luxembourgish and EU NGOs will discuss their main concerns and recommendations relevant to the Luxembourgish EU Presidency’s priorities. The recommendations will be presented to the Minister of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy the day after during a public conference.
- Social economy: the role of the EU in setting adequate legal and financial frameworks, including public procurement, to support the development of social economy.
- Social governance of the European Union: to ensure a balance between economic and social priorities and serve the well-being of all people, in particular in the context of the European Semester.
3. Parallel workshops – second round
- Equal treatment: facilitate the negotiations on the horizontal Equal Treatment Directive COM (2008)426. Vice-President Timmermans and Commissioner Jourova are both committed to adopt it by the end of 2015.
- Social investment: the investment in ambitious social policies, including social protection and social services, and the new European Investment Plan.
4. Reporting back from the workshops by the rapporteurs
Q&A by representatives of EU and Luxembourgish NGOs
17.00-17.10 Closing remarks by Pierre Baussand, Director of Social Platform
After the meeting ends members are welcome to organise their own bilateral meetings.
3 JUNE : CONFERENCE ON THE SOCIAL DIMENSION OF THE EU PRESIDENCY IN LUXEMBOURG – read about the program here
Contact: Valentina Caimi