Join Spring Alliance’s debate on how to shape a better Europe now
On April 8, 2014 from 14:00 to 17:30, Spring Alliance has invited the candidates for the position of President of the European Commission, as well as the leaders of the democratic groups of the European Parliament to debate on how to put people and planet at the centre of the EU policy-making. This high-level debate will be hosted by Henri Malosse, President of the European Economic and Social Committee.
Spring Alliance brings together civil society stakeholders from environmental, social and development organizations and trade unions. Together we have developed a Manifesto that puts forward a vision for a European Union that delivers wellbeing, solidarity, quality employment while staying well with planetary boundaries.
The debate will look at six priorities to respond to six key challenges:
1. Ensure transparency and stronger democratic accountability of the EU institutions towards citizens.
2. Reduce poverty and guarantee universal social protection.
3. Create jobs and ensure quality employment for all.
4. Significantly reduce Europe’s environmental footprint by putting in place effective policies in the areas of climate, energy efficiency, renewables, biodiversity, air quality, chemicals and waste and product design.
5. Implement a coherent global justice policy: stop resource grabbing, allow other continents to develop themselves and refrain from bilateral trade and investment deals which undermine the protection of public interests.
6. End austerity and launch a recovery plan that places people and planet first.
– See more at: https://www.socialplatform.org/events/a-better-europe-now/#sthash.jic2MrZn.dpuf