Over the Line: Social Platform’s Annual conference
As the countdown begins until the next EU elections in 2024, now is the time for civil society to make our voices heard on what issues we want to see prioritised in the next mandate.
With an estimated 1 in 5 people at risk of poverty in the EU, Social Platform and its members are calling for the next European Parliament and European Commission to show ambition and commitment to tackle this pressing problem through the strengthening of minimum income schemes across the EU.
Gathering Social Platform’s diverse network of member organisations together, this event puts the spotlight on adequate minimum income schemes as a crucial solution for addressing poverty in Europe with the aim of renewing and securing the commitment of European political parties to champion adequate, accessible minimum income schemes in their election campaigns and manifestos.
15:00 – 15:10 Welcome and introduction
- MEP Estrella Dura Ferrandis, S&D
- MEP Sara Matthieu, Greens/EFA
- Introduction from Social Platform
15:10 – 15:20 Personal testimony
- Christina Power, Community activist, ATD Fourth World Ireland
15:20 – 16:00 Reality of Inadequate Minimum Income Schemes: Reflections from civil society
- Representatives from Social Platform member organisations share insights into impact of inadequate minimum income schemes on those they represent as well as key findings discussed in the morning session (option to attend via the registration form below).
16:00 – 17:00 Political panel: Minimum income developments at the EU level
- MEP Estrella Dura Ferrandis (S&D/ESP)
- Laura de Bonfils, Secretary General, Social Platform
- MEP Sara Matthieu, Greens/BE
- Jiri Svarc, Head of Unit Social Policies, European Commission
- Giulio Romani, Confederal Secretary, ETUC
- Milagros Paniagua, General Secretary of Objectives and Policies of Inclusion and Social Welfare, Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security and Migrations, Spain
17:00 – 17:10 Summary and closing remarks
- Heather Roy, Social Platform Vice-President and Acting President