Investing in services for the well-being of people: A collection of case studies
In 2016 we collected case studies from Social Platform members, their national members and partners to illustrate the positive impact that investment in health, housing, employment and education services can have on both the economic and social situation of EU Member States. The 14 case studies demonstrate how a social investment approach to the provision of services advances the well-being of people in practice.
The case studies can be divided into five often cross-cutting categories:
Investing in integrated social and health care services
- The Fredericia Life Long Living Programme (Denmark): Long-term care (social care, rehabilitation and re-enablement, prevention, independent living)
- The Health Mediation Programme (Bulgaria): Health and social services for disadvantaged group
- The Healthy Communities Project (Slovakia): Health mediation, health and social services for people in vulnerable situations
- The NoRo Centre (Romania): Integrated social and health care services
Investing in migrants’ and refugees’ inclusion
- The Humanitarian Health Consultation Centre (Germany): Health care for migrant families and undocumented migrants without health insurance
- The Refugee Mission of the Reformed Church of Hungary (Hungary): Integration of refugees
Investing in people’s employability through the social economy and social enterprises
- The Magdas Hotel (Austria): Inclusion of refugees in a social enterprise in the tourism sector
- Le Mat Hotels (Italy): Employment services, social entrepreneurship, social inclusion
- Insertadix del Mediterraneo & Aromas y Colores VI (Spain): Work integration for people in vulnerable situations through the social economy
Investing in children and young people
- Reforming Child Protection (Romania): Child protection system
- SOS Children’s Villages Latvia’s Youth Programmes (Latvia): Support services for young people leaving care
- Partnership for Participation Project (Finland, Latvia, Germany, Spain, and other countries outside the EU): Youth participation and education
Investing in the community, housing and independent living to promote social inclusion
- Fa bene (Italy): Social and employment services, community action for social inclusion
- Cowan Court (UK): Extra care housing
Download the full collection of ‘social investment’ case studies here.
As well as social investment, the accessibility of services is vital to their success. Our member European Disability Forum (EDF) introduced us to the BBC’s Subtitle Time Machine Project in the United Kingdom, which fosters the accessibility of services in the area of public broadcasting. We’d like to extend a special thank you to Laura Marchetti from EDF and Richard Kurzik from the BBC for their contributions to our work on investing in services!